Saturday, April 23, 2011

Forgotten Music #5: Hoodoo Gurus - Death Defying

(Reposted from my Livejournal, Oct. 21, 2008)

In the late 80s, I really fell in love with the sound of Australian rock. Midnight Oil were (and still are) one of my favourite bands at the time. I enjoyed the gritty, driving rock sound that most bands had, as well as the rootsy sound they often melded with it. Hunters and Collectors really captured the roots-rock sound perfectly (I'll feature them in the future), but the Hoodoo Gurus I really got into. They used a power pop/psychedelic sound, full of catchy hooks. "What's My Scene" was one of my favourites, but I think the song I love the best from them is this one, "Death Defying".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHvTrfpiTI


For one, it's one of the few songs they performed that has a strong roots feel to it. It also really shows off the underrated voice of Dave Faulker, usually awash in guitar fuzz, he really stands out in this song. "Death Defying" also heralded a softer, less-ramshackle sound for the band. Note that Dave finally cut off his long hair around this time.

The Gurus have a vast musical legacy in Australia but are almost unknown in North America, save for a few tracks played on college radio during their heyday. If you like what you hear here, check out their albums Mars Needs Guitars and Magnum Cum Louder for their best work. This song is from 1985's Mars Needs Guitars

No comments:

Post a Comment