Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Fall Neptoon Record Fair

Last weekend, a friend and I made a day trip down to Vancouver for the Neptoon Record Fair. Neptoon Records hosts this used music sale twice a year, once in April and once in September. For this fair, I mainly look for bargains, and for vinyl on the Wax Trax or Nettwerk label. There were plenty of bargains, especially a guy with 4-5 boxes of sealed vinyl from the 70s to the 90s. I did see some nice collectible stuff, but a bit out of my range for price. The first Devo EP on Stiff Records for $75 and a Japanese pressing of Brian Eno's Before and After Science for $35. I passed on both. I also ran into the guy from Krazy Bob's again. I asked if he remembered me. He said that I had a different haircut than last time (I didn't). Then I told him we talked about Katrina and the Waves, then he remembered me.

Here's what I got (in alphabetical order):

Appliance - D4 (2000, 4 song remix EP from this band, minimalist electro-pop. Remixes by Kreider, Pole, Tarwater and To Rococo Rot)
The Bongos - Drums Along the Hudson (1982, one of only two releases from this excellent and overlooked new wave band. Notable for launching the solo career of Richard Barone.)

http://youtu.be/E-0ukoYwnwI



David Bowie - Lodger (one of the three seminal pop/electronic "Berlin Trilogy". I just need Low and my collection is complete for the trilogy)
Clock DVA - Sound Mirror (12") (nice vinyl on Wax Trax. Clock DVA are legendary drone/industrialists. Also notable for being Jeffrey Dahmer's favourite band.)

http://youtu.be/qfMlbZqRQX0



Elvis Costello and the Attractions - The Best of: The First Ten Years (got this for $5 and it was the only album I bought on CD. It's a track for track reprint of the Ryko best of, but released on the Hip-O label. A guy was selling sealed best ofs for cheap, so what the heck...)
Dead or Alive - Youthquake (Pete Burns band, got it for a buck.)
The Drivers - Short Cuts (1983, UK new wave band, only put out two albums, eventually became known as the Cutting Crew.)
Dave Edmunds - Rockpile (his second album from 1974.)

http://youtu.be/Ry2td7q5ZMc



The Fleshtones - Roman Gods (1981, their debut on IRS Records. Underrated New York based new wave band. This band is still recording today!)
The Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death (1988, driving indy rock from the UK. Sentimental favourite from my early days in college radio.)

http://youtu.be/QO5dcW0P75M



Greater Than One - G-Force (a real score! $5 for this album, UK electro-industriallists on Wax Trax Records.)

http://youtu.be/aPR7-sttLOo



Joe Jackson - Big World (1986, double album, sealed, for $2)
Jazz Butcher - Big Planet, Scarey Planet (1989, one of the first bands I got into when I first got into college radio)
Judas Priest - The Best of Judas Priest (1978, import on the Gull Label)
Katrina and the Waves - 2 and Waves (I'm a fan, sue me...)
Moev - Yeah Whatever (1988, Vancouver industrial rockers on the Nettwerk label.)
Nash the Slash - American Band-ages (1984, Canadian electro-violinist. All covers.)
Neon Judgement - Horny as Hell (1988, Belgian industrial band, on the PIAS label.)
Nu Shooz - Told U So (electro-pop from the mid 80s. $1)
The Pumps - Gotta Move (1980, only album from this Canadian new wave band from Winnipeg)
Scritti Politti - Cupid and Psyche 85 (best album from these UK working class new wavers.)
Squeeze - Squeeze (1978, their debut album. This copy pressed on red vinyl!)
Tin Huey - Contents Dislodged During Shipping (1979, Akron OH new wave band, rubbed elbows with Devo and the Rubber City Rebels)

http://youtu.be/Ud11xA6b_9Y



Wiseblood - Somebody Drowning in My Pool (12") (alter-ego of Jim Thirwell of Foetus, on the PIAS label)

No comments:

Post a Comment