Thursday, October 27, 2011

Forgotten Music #11: Rockpile - Teacher Teacher

More from the LiveJournal vaults. Strangely appropriate since I just replaced my CD copy of Basher.

Rockpile is a collaboration between Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds, two musicians who got their start together in the legendary pub-rock band Brinsley Schwartz in the 70s. After that band broke up, Lowe and Edmunds started solo careers, but always worked back up for each other. Their band became known as Rockpile. While both men were successful as solo artists and recorded as back up on each other's albums, Rockpile only appeared once under that name with that 1980 album Seconds of Pleasure. The album is the usual mash up of rockers and covers of classic R&B and blues. "Teacher Teacher" was the standout track on the album, though the entire album is stellar, especially "When I Write the Book" and "Heart".

I got into Nick Lowe a bit late in the game. While I'm a huge and longtime fan of Elvis Costello's work, I didn't pay much attention to Lowe, but knew of his work through Elvis's albums. Lowe has produced several of Costello's albums (as well as many other artists on the early days of Stiff Records) and wrote "(What's So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding", one of my favourite Elvis tracks (It's also one of the few tracks I can count on to make me start bawling like a baby at times). I picked up his best of, Basher, a few years ago and fell in love with is work right away. I've played Basher so much that it's very scratched now and can't be played anymore without skipping. Good think Nick's got a new best of called Quiet Please out now. Weirdly enough, I discovered Dave Edmunds after Lowe and I love his work even more than Lowe's now.

http://youtu.be/n9_9k8-W1Po

No comments:

Post a Comment