Thursday, November 10, 2011

RIP Heavy D

Heavy D and the Boyz, led by Jamaican-born Dwight Myers, were part of the late 80s surge of hip-hop/R&B hybrids, blending elements of vocal R+B love songs, dance style hip-hop and rapping. Heavy D was a big more on hip hop side of things, but they had several very successful hits in the late 80s and early 90s. Their first hit came in 1987 with "Mr. Big Stuff", but they are best known for the song "Now that We Found Love".

I was never a big fan of the band's work, but my brother loved this stuff in the early 90s. While I was starting into college in 1988, often all I would hear coming from my brother's room was Heavy D, Keith Sweat, Jon Secada and Bobby Brown. His work is written on my brain, but not for a love of his work.

Myers was in Jamaica when he passed away. He had recently begun to record reggae music. He apparently passed away from respiratory problems. He was 44.

http://youtu.be/NNEgUPKxk7A

No comments:

Post a Comment