Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Best of 2011 #8: Small Black - New Chain

Yes, I know this album was released in 2010, but I didn't hear it until spring 2011, so I'm counting it. Small Black are one of the leading bands of the "chillwave" movement, a hit and miss style of music that borrows heavily from the analog electronic pop of the 80s and adding in the looping and sampling of the modern electronic world. Small Black's style of chillwave is a lush, looping style of electronics and vocal effects, trance inducing but noisy at the same time. Their dirty sound is a big draw for me, making them much more interesting than the more sterile Washed Out, whom I was very disappointed by this year. New Chain is an exciting and forward thinking album, but one that still pays homage to the artists that paved the way for them.

http://youtu.be/C_llci-C7hc

No comments:

Post a Comment