Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Best of 2015 #4: Tacocat - NVM (Hardly Art Records)

Tacocat are probably my favourite new band I discovered this year. I first heard them on Seattle's KEXP, which I often listen to if I have to work at my desk and have a lot of paperwork to do. One of the best things that campus/community radio can do is expose you to the obscure bands in the local scene, and KEXP were definitely championing local heroes Tacocat. This band is the closest thing we have to capturing the joyful and cute punk spirit that Vancouver's cub once created. And I'm a huge fan of cub.

Tacocat have the manic pixie energy of an all-girl garage band from the 60s and the updated slacker snark of a band from the 2010s. Their songs are punky and scrappy, tackling life in Seattle, crappy bus service, women problems, hipsterism and misogyny. They have a wicked sense of humour and aren't afraid to laugh at themselves. They're unbearably cute. They make music fun to listen to, which not a minor thing with the type of music I tend to link. I missed cub. Now I have Tacocat.

Outside of my #1 album of the year, I think I listened to NVM more than any other album in 2015. Their video for "Crimson Wave" is my go to pick for video of the year. They have a new album coming out in April, and have just been tapped to perform the theme song for the revamped Powerpuff Girls cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment