Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What I'm Reading

Some recent printed media round-ups.

Exclaim is a must read for me each month. It's one of the best sources for lesser known and obscure artists, especially Canadian artists. This isue (October 2010) features Deerhunter on the cover, some Q&A with the gorgeous and talented Corin Tucker and a career retrospective of Robert Plant. Some nice short features on up and coming Canadian acts like Women and PS I Love You, and new stuff from Black Mountain (still haven't heard their new one, but soon...) It's free across Canada, so grab it if you see it.

I just got my first two issues of Discorder in the mail this week too. I got a subscription to it (just $20 for a year) since I always pick up all the back issues when I'm in Vancouver and I rarely get to Vancouver. Discorder is the program guide for campus station CiTR and an indispensable source of info about the Vancouver scene. September's cover story is Black Mountain and the inside contains stores about recent festivals, including The Vancouver Folk Festival, Calgary's Sled Island and Nelson's Shambhala. October's issue features local up and comers Myths and Fine Mist on the cover, inside features on Wavves, Witch House and Fond of Tigers. I'll be talking about both Fine Mist and Fond of Tigers soon, both of their new albums are excellent.

On the stranger side, I just got the latest (Fall 2010) issue of Signal to Noise, a nice magazine about experimental and improv music. Guitar and bass player Joe Morris is on the cover, plus a very lengthy article on The Ex and a nice article on the underground music of Singapore. There's some bits on Canadians Eve Egoyan and The Minotaurs too. This mag is great for one thing and that's the huge mass of detailed reviews of experimental music. If you pick it up, pick it up for that.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that Black Mountain is releasing a new album, I've been digging the latest Pink Mountaintops album as of late

    ReplyDelete