Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Best of 2012: #10 - Parallels - XII (Marigold)

We begin our review of my favourite albums of 2012.

Last year, I picked Parallels' debut album Visionairies at my favourite album of 2011. This year, their sophomore effort XII is #10 on my list. XII was very solid, but I feel the band suffered a bit with the departure of Cam Findlay back to Crystal Castles. The band is much more pop-oriented now, and much slicker, lacking the dark feel that Findlay brought to the synth-pop sound. Holly Dodson, nonetheless, stepped up as the front person for the band, and her vocals were silky smooth. This is one of the best snyth-pop releases of the past year. This is also the first of a crop of great Canadian albums to end up on my top 10 list.

Check out my Earshot review of the album here.

http://youtu.be/qu8Gbg1lxVE



No comments:

Post a Comment