Monday, December 30, 2019

Best of 2018 #1: Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance (Partisan Records)

This band is a rare one that I discovered not in Canadian campus radio, but at KEXP in Seattle. I tend to listen to KEXP when work is slow, or I have nothing to do at home but clean up the house or play video games. Every time this band came on, I had to stop what I was doing and see what the heck the song was that was playing. Idles, from the UK, are a hybrid of post-punk precision, punk-rock bravado and working class British values. Their second album has a cocky swagger to it that rivals the best of UK 77 punk, and the teary vulnerability of mid 80s UK pop, backed with a wall of sound musicality that would make David Gedge or Mark E. Smith twist up their face a little. Political, raw, loud, unapologetic, unrelenting. They released a thunderous live album in 2019 and are set with a follow up in 2020, which is bound to be in consideration for my albums of the year for 2020.

Best of 2019 is coming next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment