Monday, November 15, 2010

Forgotten Music #3: The Godfathers - "Birth, School, Work, Death"

Another classic LJ posting:

I remember when I first got into campus radio back in the late 80s and really started to understand what it was for. I began to listen, really listen, to music outside of what I already know about myself and started to discover amazing bands. Bands that, given a chance, made music just as catchy and palatable as what I was hearing on mainstream rock radio. The Godfathers from the UK were one of those bands. I got into them with their 1988 album "More Songs About Love and Hate", but quickly found their earlier work was much more appealing. "Birth, School, Work, Death", the album and the song, came out in 1988.



The band mixed the oh so late 80s college radio power pop sound with just enough punk swagger to make their work jump out at you. The subject matter is here is less dense than my previous pics, but it hardly matters. The Godfathers are about controlled punk energy and the subject matter is pure punk anger combined with indy rock angst. Just sit back and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment