Tuesday, November 9, 2010

More on Cancon

One idea I'm kicking around right now is beginning to host another radio show, this one for the internet. I know a group I've been talking with called Ghettoradio, who have DJs booked around the clock and around the world (for the most part), doing 1-2 hour shows. I'm working on a all Canadian show, focusing on obscure Canadian artists from all eras of music and avoiding the artists well known outside of our border. The show will be called Beaver Tail Radio. The first step is to get my Canadian CDs uploaded onto my computer (because the broadcasting program doesn't seem to detect my iPod), then I'll have a good base to start the show. Then, I want to get an mp3 turntable and start digitizing all the obscure Canadian new wave I have on vinyl.

Speaking of vinyl and continuing my obsession with Canadian music, I had another nice score at a used record/comics/games store downtown today:

Alien Heirs - To Heir is Divine EP (Canada, Independent, 1985): Synth-pop act from Vancouver, album engineered by Dave Ogilvie. One member, called Twin, looks a lot like Bif Naked, but apparently isn't.
Marshall Crenshaw - Field Day (USA, Warner, 1983)
Philip Glass - The Photographer (USA, CBS, 1983)
The Motels - All Four One (USA, Capitol, 1982)
One To One - Forward Your Emotions (Canada, Bonaire, 1985): Radio pop band from Ottawa, kind of the last gasp of new wave in Canada.
Parachute Club - Small Victories (Canada, Current, 1986)
The Planets - Goon Hilly Down (UK, Rialto/Polygram, 1979)
Silver Darts - Feel Like a Target EP (Canada, Rio, 1981): Almost nothing online about this band, looks to be from Montreal.
Spoons - Talkback (Canada, Ready, 1983): Classic Canadian new wave, one of the legends.
Thompson Twins - Side Kicks (UK, Artists, 1983)
The Tubes - The Completion Backwards Principles (USA, EMI, 1981)
V/A - Modern Rockers (Warwick, 1982): British import compilation, bands like Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Squeeze, Boomtown Rats, etc.
V/A - Asylum 83 (Kelly's, 1983): This album has a Warner Record stamp on the album itself, but it looks to be a promo album sent to a record store called Kelly's (which looks to be based in the UK) and wasn't for sale. Bands includes Echo and the Bunnymen, U2, Planet P, Blanket of Secrecy, Berlin, Men Without Hats and Greg Kihn.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve!

    I'd love to hear the "Alien Heirs - To Heir Is Divine" LP one day if you'd care to share?

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete