Monday, November 29, 2010

Oddball covers

One aspect of music I love is strange covers. Like people who have no business covering other songs. Like William Shatner covering Pulp's "Common People". Sometimes I run across a cover song so strange that I have to expose it or play it on my radio show. I've talked about the Slits covering "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" earlier.

One fun thing is finding a song you didn't know was a cover. A fellow music lover tipped me off to a Youtube user called funktuall, who specializes in tracking down samples in hip-hop, but also has several videos featuring covers you didn't know were covers. Here's the first edition.



Two of my favourites: Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll" was first done by 70s rock band The Arrows, and Blondie's "Tide is High" is an early reggae single from the Paragons:





As a total sidebar, here's John Holt of the Paragons doing "Ali Baba", one of my favourite reggae tunes:

No comments:

Post a Comment